Kingscourt, County Cavan

Kingscourt town was built by Merlyn Pratt and later by the Rev. Joseph Pratt from 1760 to 1770.

Its name derived from the fact that King James 2nd held court for one night at Cabra Castle (then Cormey Castle) on his way to the battle of the Boyne.

In the early days a thriving flax industry and limestone quarrying were the main means of livelihood of the people.

The present Catholic Church is the third to occupy the same site. The first one was a mud-walled structure built shortly after the foundations of the town.

The second, the apse of which is still standing at one of the entrances gates, was built after the lease of the ground was granted by the Pratt family in 1798.

The present church was erected from 1869-1872 and is notes for its stained glass windows by Evie Hone and Harry Clarke.

Compare and Save on Car Rentals Worldwide
with CarTrawler

Cabra Castle
Kingscourt

Cabra Castle Hotel is situated in the east of County Cavan in the north east of Ireland. Located outside the town of Kingscourt, the castle stands on the borders of Co. Monaghan, Co. Meath and Co. Cavan.

The majority of the castle's bedrooms are situated in the courtyard development. The courtyard is a restoration of the original outhouses and working areas of the castle.

All the bedrooms are individually designed and most contain some of the original features of the buildings. All the rooms in this area have access to the castle's walled garden.

Website

Book now

Irish Family Names from Kingscourt: Campbell, Carolan, Clarke, Duffy, Farrelly, Finnegan, Fleming (a license was granted to Garrett Fleming of Cabra to hold a fair in Muff by King James 1 in 1608), Gargan, Hanratty, Kelly, Lambe, Mackin, Martin, McCabe, McCormack, McMahon, Murtagh, O'Brien, O'Reilly (Muff castle was erected by Conchobhar Og O'Reilly about 1450), Patterson, Reilly, Rooney, Sherlock, Smith and Tinnelly.